Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 1: Friday, June 19, 2009

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, ‘I used everything you gave me.’” -Erma Bombeck

So, I’m not a writer... I’m not really clever with my words… The only reason my grammar and punctuation are probably only correct because I have autoformat on. I don’t really have much experience in writing at all actually. This probably won’t even be interesting to anyone other than me in about 30 years when I look back and can relive my glory days. But who knows, maybe someone will make a movie out of my life someday because of the ingenious words I am currently typing on a computer screen. I want to start this blog to capture and remember everything that I see, feel, think, and do in this new life I am about to start. As cheesy as that sounds, this literally is a completely new beginning for me. I have never been more excited/scared/overwhelmed about anything in my whole life. It’s the greatest feeling in the world to not know what is going to happen next. I can be anyone I want and do anything under the sun. I got nothing holding me back. Over the past few weeks I think I slowly realized how rare an opportunity like this is and how seldom people have enough courage to take on a future that is completely unknown. I ready to take a leap of faith. And faith is what I fully have in Him……..


“It’s not faith if you use your eyes.” –Paramore, “Miracle”


I left my house this morning about 45 minutes later than planned after having to take out a large trash bags of hats (just ridiculous) and another trash bag of scarves (even more ridiculous) to spare some room for Kristen’s bags. The goodbye was a quick one. I think I actually took longer saying goodbye to Otis than anyone. I love that damn dog. I starting crying (oops), hugged Whit who did a stupid little song and dance to send me off, and squeezed my tiny little mother until she pushed me off when the tears started rolling. Last thing she said was, “Get out of here. Go have fun!” That is exactly what I plan to do. Thank you mom. Looked back in my rear view mirror, tears in mom’s eyes (a very rare sight… kinda made me feel special) and a stupid smile on little sis’ beautiful face.


Swung by the hotel where Kristen and her parents spent the night, loaded her bags, and got harassed by Magda and her digital. I don’t really know what she plans on doing with the 37 pictures she took of us unpacking the car, repacking the car, sitting in the car, and driving away in the car. God love her. She just had brain surgery for a benign tumor about 2 weeks ago and she’s up and kickin! You could tell she did not want to let Kristen leave from all of the rhetorical questions she continued to ask us. Gotta love that woman. Dad met us at the hotel with a triple venti skinny vanilla latte for Kristen and a triple venti skinny hazelnut latte for me. I love my starbucks! I told Kristen I would choose a coffee buzz over a beer buzz any day of the week (and I have a secret dream of being a coffee connoisseur. Does that exist?) A big bear hug and kiss from Dad and we’re off.


It’s funny how this goodbye was different than any other. I am used to saying quick goodbyes and heading back to Knoxville all the time, but this time I realized something. I wasn’t saying goodbye, but more of a thank you for all of the love and support everyone has given me. So if I told you goodbye, I really meant to say thank you. Thanks for everything you’ve done and all you will do for me. The smallest word of encouragement from someone you love can make you feel like you can conquer the world. Picking up the phone and just saying hello to someone is a powerful thing. It’s something simple that should happen more often in everyday life. (I promise to be better at it in the future.) Yes, the more times I told you goodbye (even if via text message), the more I love you and thought you needed a little more reminding. I think at big turning points in your life, like this one, you get emotional, not because you are leaving the ones you love, but because you realize how much you have. I will never be able to express how thankful I am for all the blessings in my life because I don’t deserve all I have.




“I worry about life and if it’s right and right on time. I guess if you don’t jump you’ll never know if you can fly.” –Miranda Lambert, “New Strings”




On I-40 at 6:56 am with Sheryl Crow singing “This ain’t no disco… this ain’t no country club either. This is LA” a cd made courtesy of Katherine Skinner. Rockin taste in music cuz. We sang our lungs out with the windows down for the 1st 15 minutes down the interstate. If you are one of those people who is paranoid about people seeing you sing in the car… you need to face your fear and do it as often as possible. It will change your life. I was now in my element and there was no lookin back...


We listened to “Walkin In Memphis” as we crossed the bridge and took Kristen’s Arkansas virginity. Not much action in this state except almost getting side-swiped by a crop duster. A little while ago we switched drivers in Conway, Arkansas, home of our new American Idol, Kris Allen. Congrats Kris. Leaving that city was the best decision you have ever made.




(Only in Arkansas: rebel flag trucker; hauling hundreds of chickens that smelled so bad our noses bled; billboards seen nowhere else except the south. We will rise again... maybe.)



“...Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9




(10:07 pm) lots of grass and green stuff all around us as the ground begins to get flatter and flatter. We make our way into Oklahoma and add cows to that list of not-so-cool things to see. Well, let me rephrase that statement. Yes, not-so-cool, but there is also something very gorgeous and fascinating about an enormous open field of crops and cattle. (Maybe it’s because green is my favorite color?) One of the reasons I love going to see Meredith Pulliam in Crockett. Everything just looks so simple and still. It is refreshing to take a moment, breathe it in, and know that not everything in life is fast paced. I thought about that a lot today and tried to soak that idea in. Soon, the sights around me will be no more… I noticed in Oklahoma that all of the trees were leaning to the right. I thought that the wind was blowing but realized that they were completely still, yet all tilted. I’m assuming the wind blows to the north all of the time here? (Please stop laughing if this is some form of common sense that everyone should know.) Also saw my first windmill. Those bad boys are HUGE.


I called our future 90 year old roommate, Willie Atkinson, at some point during the trip through Oklahoma. To confirm the reason I am so excited to live with him, I will reenact our phone conversation:

“Hey Willie! It’s Erin your new roommate.”

“Where art thou?”

“Well, we just got into Oklahoma and we are headed your way. Are you excited to meet us?"

“Oh hell yeahhhhh!”

“We are ready for you to take us out on the town.”

“I need a change of pace. All I have been doing is chasing widows around.”

“We are excited to see everything.”

“Well, when you get in, I will show you around the area. There is a young man I want you to meet who just got done staying with me for about 7 weeks before finding an apartment. He will help you look for places, too.”

“Ok, awesome. We should be rolling into Hermosa about lunchtime on Monday. We will call you when we get a little closer to you.”

“Well, take your time and enjoy everything that you see because you may never do this again. See it all and take lots of pictures. It’s important to enjoy life like this. I am a firm believer in that.”


Yep. That’s our new roomie.








Once we hit Texas, the horizon line seemed to be never ending and the sky got bigger and bigger. I never really took the saying “everything is bigger in Texas” literally until now. It really is big. No wonder Columbus thought the earth was flat. You can see for miles and miles and miles and miles… Even the restaurant where we ate dinner, Big Texan Steak Ranch, served a 72 oz. steak. It cost $200, but if you finished it in one hour, it was free. 2 men were attempting it as we sat down and were unsuccessful. I was waiting for one to croak in the middle of chewing. The restaurant looked like it belonged in Gatlingburg, TN and I loved every minute of it. Sometimes I am the most proud that I am a southerner when I am involved in the most redneck things imaginable. It’s distgustingly awesome.






It was right about hour 9 that we started getting a little delirious and giggly. I wondered how long it would take. Because she is obsessed with Edward Cullen (the fictional vampire from the book “Twilight”), Kristen received an action figure of the character from Ashley Reddington. Of course, she brought him along in the front seat. We quickly decided to incorporate Edward into each of the places that we ventured to on our journey to add a little interest to our photography. Maybe it was the excessive amounts of trail mix going to our heads, but we thought it was funny. Enjoy.




















Day 1: Complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers